To be or not to SDAB
This week, council has approved 209 new shelter spaces for this winter out of the financial stabilization reserve, and the SDAB has left the new Boyle Street location out in the cold.
Here are the relevant links for this episode:
- Series of earthquakes in northern Alberta felt in Edmonton, Grande Prairie and B.C.
- Smith introduces flagship Alberta Sovereignty Within a United Canada Act, giving cabinet new power
- New emergency shelter spaces approved as deaths mount
- PSA: Extreme weather response activated
- 'Catastrophe of homelessness': Three dead at makeshift Edmonton shelters in early November
- Troy's tweet
- City of Edmonton hears appeal of new Boyle Street Community Services building
- Boyle Street Community Services relocation plan halted by development appeal board
- 'Deeply disappointed': Development appeal board revokes permit for new Boyle Street centre
- Boyle Street targeted in racist phone calls following development dispute
- Climate change raised repeatedly during budget hearing
- About 170 speakers sign up to offer wish lists for Edmonton budget during public hearing
- Transit security, recreation, Valley Zoo investment among budget asks at Edmonton council hearing
- Edmonton budget: sports and recreation, social services, transit big topics at public hearing
- Municipalities across Edmonton region face budget challenges for 2023
- Troy's tweet thread
Speaking Municipally is a proud member of the Alberta Podcast Network: locally grown, community supported.
This week we talked about Park Power, your friendly, local utilities provider in Alberta. Offering Internet, Electricity, and Natural Gas with low rates, awesome service, and profit-sharing with local charities. We also highlighted Alberta Blue Cross, which offers group benefit plans that enable employees to manage their own health, dental, life and disability coverage online.
Speaking Municipally is produced by Taproot Edmonton, a source of curiosity-driven original stories, curated newsletters on various topics, and locally focused podcasts, all in the service of informing Edmontonians about what is going on in their community. Sign up to get The Pulse, our weekday news briefing. It's free!★ Support this podcast ★
Speaking Municipally is part of the Alberta Podcast Network: Locally grown. Community supported.
Have a question for us? Comment? Leave us a voice message.
Sign up for updates on Taproot Edmonton.© Taproot Publishing Inc.