The EPS phenotyping about-face
DNA phenotyping — something you probably haven't heard of before — was everywhere this week. That is, until the EPS were called out on their bunk science and tried to make it nowhere instead.
Here are the relevant links for this episode:
Red tape award
UAlberta ventilation data
- NEWS RELEASE: Edmonton secures place as Canada's first UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities member
- Mayor Amarjeet Sohi's tweet
Guest: Bashir Mohamed
- NEWS RELEASE: Police use DNA phenotyping in unsolved sexual assault
- EPS Statement on DNA Phenotyping
- Edmonton police use DNA phenotyping as 'last resort' in hopes of identifying sexual assault suspect
- Ubaka Ogbogu's tweet
- Opinion: Edmonton police wrong to release DNA phenotyping mugshot of a Black man
Single-use reduction bylaw
- NEWS RELEASE: City council passes bylaw to significantly reduce waste
- Edmonton finalizes plastic bag, disposable food container bylaw
- Edmonton restaurants grapple with proposed ban on single-use items
Rec centre naming rights
- Edmonton councillors vote to sell naming rights of Clareview Recreation Centre
- Clareview Rec Centre to be renamed Jumpstart Community Recreation Centre
EPS jurisdictional scan
- Edmonton police funding debate dominated by conflict of interest concerns
- Per Capita Police Funding
- Police funding increases could be locked in before budget talks
EPS funding formula
Speaking Municipally is a proud member of the Alberta Podcast Network: locally grown, community supported.
This week we talked about The Well Endowed Podcast from the Edmonton Community Foundation, which explores the impact of passionate people who are working to make Edmonton a strong, vibrant city to live in. We also highlighted Park Power, your friendly, local utilities provider in Alberta. Offering Internet, Electricity, and Natural Gas with low rates, awesome service, and profit-sharing with local charities.
Speaking Municipally is produced by Taproot Edmonton, a source of curiosity-driven original stories, curated newsletters on various topics, and locally focused podcasts, all in the service of informing Edmontonians about what is going on in their community. Sign up to get The Pulse, our weekday news briefing. It's free!★ Support this podcast ★
Speaking Municipally is part of the Alberta Podcast Network: Locally grown. Community supported.
Have a question for us? Comment? Leave us a voice message.
Sign up for updates on Taproot Edmonton.© Taproot Publishing Inc.